Monday, March 8, 2010

My memory of Olympic 2010




Olympic Games 2010 was a great time for people who have living in Vancouver. Also, for me was a good opportunity to participate in some volunteer activities. Through Coastal Church which I have attended regularly, I found out there were different schedules, and they needed volunteer people. So, I choose one and registered online. The Coastal Church provided every day free coffee or hot chocolate for people inside and outside of the church to passerby. During the Olympic festival, every day 3 groups included 5 people in different times went to streets or stations and offered a hot drink to people. On Friday February 22 at 8:00 pm I attended at the church. First, plan`s supervisor explained us how we can work with the machine which we should carry, how changing the tools and cups and other important details such as making hot chocolate and etc. She mentioned that in every group there is a helper who will help others that carry the machine. In one and half hours everything was ready. It was interesting for me and I was excited. I preferred to be helper because the machine was very heavy for me to carry. My group should go on Robson Street and our job would be finished at 12:00pm. Although, it was cold night but many excited and happy people were walking and shouting on the street. It made them happier when they saw they can drink a free hot chocolate. So, we could have a small conversation with different people in different subjects. Attending in this volunteer job helped me to make relationship and start talking to people easier than before, learned some new vocabularies, and now I feel I am closer to Canadian culture than before. I could make new Canadian friends with who we were in the same group. I can keep it as a good memory and valuable experience of Olympic 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment